Sunday 1 February 2009

UK team

I think it is time I introduce my team mates on this trip. Firstly there is Chas, the UK director of the Watoto Child Care Ministries. He was our calm voice in the chaos. He's been on a build team before so knew what to expect and was able to organise us (mostly!) to wherever we needed to be on time. I have a lot of respect for the man, we weren't an easy team to handle at times and there were only seven of us. I must confess I regressed quite a bit (who knew the teenager was still inside of me?) but he managed to deal with me and the others with incredible patience.



Also from the Watoto UK office was Ope, my roommate. She is four years younger than me, the youngest on the team, but was a great mate and we had lots of giggles together. She too had been to Uganda before, for the conference in September 2008 so knew what to expect regards to the country itself, but had not built before. I had been a bit worried before I left the UK, that I would not find anyone that I "clicked with" but the Lord took good care of me and provided me with a crazy friend to keep me company. Thank you Father!



Gretl came over for her 50th birthday, to give something back to God. A lover of cane sugar and groundnuts and a blessing to the team with her gentle spirit and ready smile.



Peter and Janet were the oldest on the team, well into their 60's but definitely pulling their weight on the building site. Peter constantly had a song on his lips and when things were good, they were "tickety boo". Janet was amazing, not letting physical impairments (a plastic hip) prevent her mucking in and doing her share. We lost them for a couple of days on site when they went to visit their Compassion sponsor child in Mbale, but they both impressed me with their determination to do their bit.



Martin the solicitor, was ending his sabbatical of three months with the Uganda trip. I am not sure if he regressed with Ope & myself or if he is usually the joker, but he was great to share a giggle with. He was the man who you want on a quiz night, the one with the random facts and the expressive eyebrows (they won't help on a quiz night but sure were entertaining!). He turned out to be the "stirrer" of the team but not maliciously, just to keep us on our toes and develop my quick wit to retort when necessary.



Lastly but most importantly was Fred, our host. As I mentioned earlier, he is one of the first Watoto children and a testiment to the organisation. He knew answers to most of our questions and was very patient with us. He is the great entertainer and certainly had some wonderful stories to share with us of life in Uganda. He was definitely a blessing to us and it was sad to say goodbye to him on our last day - may the Lord grant him the desires of his heart and bless him in all he does.

No comments: