Friday 27 February 2009

Build - Day 3

The day started off cool and cloudy again and we got to the site around our usual time. We were reduced in numbers today as Peter and Janet had an early start to Mbale and won’t be back until tomorrow evening.

We’d barely moved a few bricks after a song and prayer with the workmen, when the rain came down again. We sat in the hut for ages and then had just commenced work once more when we were sent on a break. I think it’s not that they believe we need a break, but an opportunity to get some stuff done without us in the way! We used the opportunity to do a tour of the developing Suubi 2 village, looking at houses elsewhere that were in various stages of completion. Moses, our foreman, took us all over the site showing us various houses and explaining how each of them were to be completed. It was fascinating watching the bricks being made and I marvelled at the strength of the men working the machine – it is incredibly hard work!


We went straight to lunch after our tour so I barely worked all morning it seemed, but we made up for it in the afternoon. I helped lay bricks on the kitchen wall with a guy called Frank and there was only room for two because of the space. It was nice not being crowded and I appreciated the chance to get on and do some work at a reasonable speed. By the end of the afternoon, I was even allowed to move the horizontal string used as a guide to keep the bricks in line. Ok, so he had to adjust it once I’d moved it, but it was only my first time and I still felt it a bit of an honour.

When we went on the tour earlier, we stopped at the hut where lunch was being made for the workmen. The cooks were making what we learnt was their staple diet on site – maize and beans and juice drunk out of plastic bags. One of the young guys hanging around the huts was marvelling at the hair on Chas’s arms as the Ugandan’s have little body hair and there was quite a contrast between the two men. It was quite funny seeing the expression on this young guy’s face!

The journey home was horrendous as the traffic was really bad and yet again I fell asleep in the minibus. I must be working very hard (or the early mornings are wearing me out!). It rained going back to the guesthouse and I even heard thunder before we left the site. The streets were running with red water, in between the houses and filling the channels near the road. It’s astounding how much water was flowing from only a few hours of rain. I guess because the earth is almost like clay, the water isn’t absorbed but just runs down the slopes. It was quite a sight with the streets awash but people carrying on with their day despite the bad weather – no running for cover and sitting it out.

One part of each day that I really enjoy is waving and saying hello to the local children as we drive to and from the village. Their faces light up with huge smiles and they wave enthusiastically when they see us and I often feel a bit like a celebrity. There are very few “white” people around so we are something of a novelty I suppose, although with all the teams that come through this area working with Watoto, I am surprised that we are still so fascinating.

No comments: