Friday 27 February 2009

Build - Day 2

We left a little earlier today thanks to better preparation on everyone’s part – the sandwich making went much quicker. The traffic seemed worse however so I am not sure we actually got to the site any earlier. Our first disruption occurred when we got to the end of our street to turn onto the main road and we had to wait until about 40 lean, shirtless young men ran past doing security job training… I was certainly awake after that sight!

Each day on our journey to Suubi 2, we collect ice for the ice box to keep our sandwiches and water cool and today we had another visit from Moses (a lot of people are called Moses!) who first visited us yesterday. He rode up on his bicycle to talk through the minibus window and informed us he is the “champion biker”. He uses his bicycle like a taxi, riding people to where they need to go and is a most friendly chap who is now becoming a part of our daily routine.

It was overcast and cool on the site this morning. Initially I thought the day had the potential to be really hot but by 10am it was pouring with rain. We ended up having to stop work for about 45 minutes until it eased and then we continued on in the drizzle. The clouds did not clear and by lunch I had goose bumps as I’d only worn a sleeveless top. Most of us were cold but some were better prepared than I and had brought sweatshirts with them. At lunch, Fred entertained us with stories of a tribe living in Mbale where Janet & Peter are going to visit their Compassion sponsor child tomorrow. He is quite the story teller and found us a captive audience.

I was in a great mood today and I think it may have been infectious as by the end of the day, Ope & I both had the giggles. Martin & Gretl joined us from time to time and we caught Chas singing on more than one occasion. I found it easier to talk to the workmen and had a few small conversations with the ones I was working closest with. It’s nice being able to work alongside the locals and I was even complimented for being a hard worker.

I feel I am drawing closer to God through this experience as well. During my prayer time last night I was reduced to tears, which was most unexpected. It is great being in a country where God’s name is everywhere, where He is celebrated and having faith is respected.

It was Barack Obama’s inauguration today so whilst he was surrounded by pomp and ceremony, I was writing my journal on a sofa in a guesthouse in Kampala, smelling slightly of insect repellent, sitting with people who I only met 5 days ago but having an experience I wouldn’t swap with him for the world.

No comments: