Friday 16 January 2009

I'm here ... and it's HOT!

I'm made it to Uganda safely and without any dramas... Praise God! The flight was uneventful, it was easy to get a visa and all our luggage turned up. I can't believe it was only this morning we arrived, it feels like days ago now.

The team and I have just returned from the Bulrushes Babies Home and the babies were really sweet.





















These are children found abandoned at hospitals, police stations and rescued off rubbish dumps. The home is designed to hold 60 children between the ages of 0 - 2 years but there are currently 109 in residence... that's a lot of nappies, changes of clothes, bathing and feeding to do!



The most premature baby they ever had there weighed just 850g and was 5 months early but now he is thriving; they have excellent care for premature babies. I got to hold a few, the most determined I think! Those that could crawl or walk would come to you and try climbing up your legs and into your lap and then they were very difficult to put down. Not because I didn't want to let go but they didn't.



When they started to cry as I walked away, it was heartbreaking but it is obvious they are in great hands so that made it easier. We were told we weren't allowed to take any with us, so unfortunately I had to leave all those gorgeous kids behind. At least I know they have an excellent future ahead of them in the hands of the Watoto Organisation.



The country is much as I expected after having travelled to India in 2005, though there are some subtle differences. The billboards on the sides of the roads are similar to what I'd see in the UK, however I did see one today that said "HIV Positive? Take your medicine daily". Just a reminder of a disease that affects so many out here.

I will leave the rest of my observations from the last 7 hours (has it really only been that long since we arrived?) for another time, and will have to post photos on here (if they will all fit) when I get back. Tomorrow we are off to Jinja where I will get to go on the Nile and see it's source. How exciting!

7 comments:

MFC Bethel Team said...

Greetings from the Med!

Hi Andrea, glad you've arrived safely and are already settling in!

We will link your blog on the front page of the website in the next few days to make it easier for people to access.

Thinking of you and praying for you.

Love Adam and Susie & Co.

Catherine said...

Hi Andrea,

Great to hear your news already, and fancy getting a flight upgrade too! Sounds as if you have had a great day with the babies, can't wait to see your piccies!!

God Bless,

Love C,C and T

Teresa said...

Hi Andrea,
Hope you are having a wonderful time. This "blogging" lark is quite fun, talking to people so far away! I'm praying for you,
love from Teresa xx

Teresa said...

Andrea, I thought of you building the house when I read this bible verse
Isaiah 58 v 10-11 "If you spend yourself on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness and your night will be like the noonday. The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your need in a sun scorched land and will strengthen your frame"
I pray you are bearing up well. Are you having fun being a builder!

Lena said...

Hello Andrea,
So wonderful to hear all the news, Catherine read your text message to us at small group tonight. I bet you are pleased that you have helped build a home. Hope the dedication tomorrow goes smoothly.

Always remembering you in our prayers,
All our love
Lena and the girls

MFC Bethel Team said...

Hello,

We've arrived safely! Noticed you haven't been able to put anymore news up. Busy building houses I guess!
Hope all is well.

Mike said...

Hi Andrea,

Shirley, Steve G., and I have been touched by your notes about the babies not wanting to let you go and they being so hungry for love etc., and have been anticipating more but we are concerned that there seems to be inactivity on your blog, I expect your very busy? Hope all is well.

Pray and blessings for you
Mike